Hamhung Administration Hall, Historic Relics

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
Send to friend: 

Pyongyang, August 7 (KCNA) -- There remains an administration hall, the main building of the Hamgyong provincial government office in the period of the Feudal Joson Dynasty (1392-1910), in Tonghungsan District, Hamhung City, South Hamgyong Province of the DPRK.
The provincial government office included several buildings, but most of them were destroyed by the Japanese imperialists' moves of obliterating the national culture of Korea and the U.S. imperialists' indiscriminate bombing during the Korean War (1950-1953). Now, only the administration hall and its annex Jingchong Pavilion are preserved.
The hall, built early in the 15th century and rebuilt in 18th century, has 8 divisions in the front and 4 in the flank with double-eaves gable roof.
Seen along the exterior of the hall are 24 wooden columns put on square footstalls above low podium.
Inside the hall, there are 7 square pillars each in the front and in the back with inward rooms and a large floored space partitioned with removable doors.
The hall, one of historic relics witnessing the architecture of Korea that has been developed from long ago, is well preserved in its origin. -0-