ID :
239967
Mon, 05/14/2012 - 09:43
Auther :
Shortlink :
https://www.oananews.org//node/239967
The shortlink copeid
World's Squash Stars To Head For Canberra
By Neville Dcruz
MELBOURNE, May 14 (Bernama) -- The world's best squash players are expected
to be in Canberra when it plays host to the Australian Open from August 13-19.
The Australian Open has been a huge success since moving to Canberra in 2010
and Squash Australia chief executive Gary O'Donnell said he expected the 2012
event to be even better than the two previous editions.
"Everyone involved has done a magnificent job in putting the Australian Open
on in Canberra, and each year they present a polished and professionally managed
event," he said in a statement.
The glass court in the Royal Theatre, he said provides a spectacular setting
for 2,000 with fans having unimpeded views, of the action.
The Australian Open is one of world squash's oldest and most prestigious
tournaments.
Past winners include some of the sport's greatest names, including Heather
McKay, Geoff Hunt, Jahangir Khan, David Palmer, Michelle Martin and Sarah
Fitz-Gerald.
Last year's winners were Egyptian maestro Ramy Ashour and Malaysian squash
queen Nicol David.
"We are excited about welcoming players from all over the world and fans
from right across the country to Canberra once again this year," tournament
director Gary Hampson said.
The Open is the culmination of the increasingly successful 13-tournament
Australian Squash Tour, which now takes in every state and territory.
The next stop on the Tour is the NT Open in Darwin beginning on Thursday,
May 17, followed by the WA Open in Perth the following week.
-- BERNAMA