ID :
184631
Thu, 05/26/2011 - 14:05
Auther :

'Mumbai attackers left clues despite fool-proof plan'

Chicago, May 26 (PTI) While the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT)
leadership made plans for fool-proof attacks in Mumbai, in the
western Indian state Maharashtra, the ten men involved in the
carnage made a number of mistakes thus leaving crucial clues
behind for Indian intelligence agencies, according to court
documents.
These mistakes were conceded by the LeT mastermind
Sajid Mir in multiple conversations with the David Coleman
Headley, the Mumbai attacks co-accused, unsealed court
documents said Wednesday.
"Sajid told Headley that, despite news reports, there
were only 10 attackers. He explained to Headley how Abu
Qahafa, senior LeT member, had trained the attackers on use of
explosives and how he (Sajid) had instructed them to place
explosives in cabs to cause confusion amongst Indian officials
responding to the attacks," it said.
According to the court documents, in a later meeting
with Sajid, he related to Headley that certain attackers had
not followed his instructions, and had failed to sink the boat
that was hijacked for their ingress to Mumbai. Sajid related
that one of the attackers mistakenly left on this boat a
satellite phone that had been provided to him.
"Indian authorities located this boat, recovered this
phone, and provided it to the FBI for forensic analysis.
Stored in the phone's contacts were two numbers identified as
'Wasi.' The phone had been used to contact 'Wasi' on November
24, 2008, and had recovered a call from 'Wasi' on November 25,
2008," the documents said.
The documents were released after the District court
conducting the Mumbai attack trial ordered that some of the
over dozen sealed documents presented in the court as key
evidences be made public.

X