ID :
185133
Sun, 05/29/2011 - 13:55
Auther :
Shortlink :
https://www.oananews.org//node/185133
The shortlink copeid
CWG probe: London-based businessman not cooperating with CBI
New Delhi, May 29 (PTI) The CBI probe in the Queen
Baton's Relay case has received a setback as a London-based
businessman, whose firms were engaged in transport and display
works during the event, is not cooperating with the agency.
Ashish Patel-owned AM Car and Van Hire company was
engaged during QBR in 2009 to provide services like taxis for
the guests and OC members, while the AM films was hired to
provide display monitors during the event.
The agency was banking on Patel to provide details of
alleged conspiracy involving officials of the Commonwealth
Games Organising Committee, and his turning into approver
would have given "crucial" fillip to the CBI's case, sources
said.
Senior CBI officials, however, claimed that Patel
could have been an important element in proving conspiracy and
money trail but even his non-cooperation will not affect the
case much.
The CBI had last month sent a two-member team
comprising Additional Director V K Gupta and DIG S K Palsania
to London to probe the payments made to the two companies
allegedly with Kalmadi's tacit approval, they said.
The agency tried to contact Patel through informal
channels where he had agreed to cooperate in the probe but he
seemed to have change his stance now, sources claimed.
The CBI team during their visit to London had also
questioned other companies which were in the fray for the
contract, sources said.
Baton's Relay case has received a setback as a London-based
businessman, whose firms were engaged in transport and display
works during the event, is not cooperating with the agency.
Ashish Patel-owned AM Car and Van Hire company was
engaged during QBR in 2009 to provide services like taxis for
the guests and OC members, while the AM films was hired to
provide display monitors during the event.
The agency was banking on Patel to provide details of
alleged conspiracy involving officials of the Commonwealth
Games Organising Committee, and his turning into approver
would have given "crucial" fillip to the CBI's case, sources
said.
Senior CBI officials, however, claimed that Patel
could have been an important element in proving conspiracy and
money trail but even his non-cooperation will not affect the
case much.
The CBI had last month sent a two-member team
comprising Additional Director V K Gupta and DIG S K Palsania
to London to probe the payments made to the two companies
allegedly with Kalmadi's tacit approval, they said.
The agency tried to contact Patel through informal
channels where he had agreed to cooperate in the probe but he
seemed to have change his stance now, sources claimed.
The CBI team during their visit to London had also
questioned other companies which were in the fray for the
contract, sources said.