ID :
85378
Wed, 10/21/2009 - 10:39
Auther :

POLICE HANDLING MALTREATMENT OF EX-BOXING CHAMPION

Jakarta, Oct 20 (ANTARA) - Jakarta police have questioned three witnesses in the maltreatment of boxer-turned-promoter Syamsul Anwar Harahap (57) by three men last Sunday (Oct.18).

As a result of the maltreatment, Syamsul, a one-time boxing champion who is now director of a training program for athletes who are to compete in the Southeast Asian or SEA Games in Laos, suffered a severe cut on his lip, according to the Jakarta police's information and communication center on Tuesday.

The incident occurred at the Hotel Century in the Tanah Abang area on Sunday evening when three men who were boxers themselves - identified by their initials as ML, D and F - beat Syamsul up because they thought he was responsible for the deletion of their names from the list of athletes permitted to take part in the pre-SEA Games training program.
The three boxers asked why their names had been scrapped from the list and, apparently because they were not satisfied with Syamsul's explanation, they assaulted him.

After he was manhandled, Syamsul reported the incident to the hotel management which then reconciled them.

But moments later, the three men chased Syamsul again and tried to hit him with a small table. But Syamsul managed to dodge the attack.

The incident was also witnessed by a few other boxers, coaches and hotel securitymen who were at the scene.

Meanwhile, Syamsul said he had become the target of the three men's wrath because their names had been taken off the list of athletes qualified to participate in the training program.

But he said the decision to exclude the three boxers was not made by him personally but by a technical commission.

Not content with beating up Syamsul, the three disgruntled boxers also vandalized his car.

"My car also fell victim to their fury. They struck a dent on the car's body and smashed the glass of the left and rear windows," he said.

***4***

X